26.5.07

inspired by an unstable character with destructive tendencies

when i was younger, i was obsessed with scaring people. i loved to make people jump out of their skin. i think that this was mostly because i was such a coward myself. (in fact, i am still scared of dark basements, since i am convinced that all manner of scary things lurk there). there were a couple of times i REALLY managed to freak my poor brother out. (sam, if you are reading, i am mostly sorry). the first time, he and i were watching a horror movie that had literally MILLIONS a creepy crawly insects all over the place. sam, (the poor bastard), happened to be laying on the floor watching this movie, and was resting his head on a cushion. i quietly crawled up behind him and gently tickled his ear in the manner an insect might do it. i have never seen anyone leap that high off of the ground before, as he tried to wipe off all of the imaginary bugs that his terrified mind assumed were crawling all over him. oh man, how i laughed!!! the second time, was far worse. we both had these creepy looking clown masks, that i believe we wore one year for halloween. i thought it would be funny to try and scare my brother in some way, so that he wouldn't like the mask any longer. my plan worked a little too well. i put the mask on, and then went to find the biggest kitchen knife we had in the house. i then came creeping up the stairs, brought the knife out in front of me, and peeked my eyes around the top of the stairs. when i was fairly sure that my brother was confused by what exactly was going on, i moved the knife into a threatening posture, moved my clown-mask-head fully in to view, and made this awful noise, which in my memory, sounded like a demented goat. sam's face contorted, and he started to cry instantly. he tried to climb backwards, in order to escape this demon that had come to claim his soul. i instantly felt bad, and quickly took the mask off in order to remove the fear he was experiencing. so i guess i am not ENTIRELY evil. what is the worst fright YOU have ever given to someone? ps - i realise that i probably didn't write the above story very well, but i am at work, and my attention keeps getting distracted by stupid work stuff......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i don't remember i frightened anyone. maybe my brother tried to do this, but i wasn't so easily scared (well, i wasn't so brave as well). i remember as a child i liked looking at the sky in the night, at the twinkling stars. they were so fascinating for me and so mysterious.

honker said...

As I'm such a nice person, I've only ever been on the receiving end of frightening experiences. 2 incidents stand out in my mind:

1. I must have been about 7 years old when my older brother (older brothers have a lot to answer for, don't they?!) took it upon himself to take down the "glow in the dark" life size skeleton which was hanging on our bedroom wall and give me a wake up call. There I was having a nice pleasant slumber and the next thing I knew I woke up to a nightmare ... quickly advancing towards me (probably making noises like a demented goat but I honestly can't remember now) came the luminous skeletal remains. In the few seconds it took for my brain to work out that this wasn't real, I think you could safely say I was frightened out of my wits.

2. Go forward about 14 years and you'd have found me sharing a house with some fellow students at university. I'd signed up to give blood for the first time and they were now sending me some documentation with my blood group etc. which I could take along to future sessions. But the letter (which was obviously from the blood transfusion service as could clearly be seen from the postmark on the envelope) was cunningly intercepted and steamed open by my devious flatmates. They had gone to a lot of effort to type out a very official looking letter and as I read it the blood drained from my face in the few seconds before reality took over and I saw it for the wind up it was. I've still got the letter somewhere, but the basic gist was that following the blood sample I'd given, tests had shown I was HIV+ and that my services were no longer required for future sessions!

b-dot said...

university buddies are merciless, but both of those are great stories!